UPDATE: City Council approved the revised application at its meeting on June 14, 2023.
The Zoning By-Law amendment proposal from Minto for Phase 1 of their Abbott’s Run development at 5618 Hazeldean Road will be back at Planning & Housing Committee on Wednesday, June 7.
The application was first considered by committee on May 17, where my council colleagues supported a motion to send the file back to City staff to work with the applicant to add approximately 0.5 hectares of commercial zone near Abbott and Robert Grant to their plans.
Minto now has revised their application to carve out a 0.5-hectare block to accommodate commercial uses. The exact zoning will be confirmed when Minto submits “Phase 2” of their plans.
Thanks to Minto and City staff for working collaboratively on a constructive solution so that we can have local commercial development in this area.
I also want to thank residents who have shown their strong support for creating a truly walkable neighbourhood and the importance of having something like a local coffee shop, restaurant, daycare, or corner store in the centre of the Fernbank community.
The report recommendations
- That Planning and Housing Committee recommend Council approve an amendment to Zoning By-law 2008-250 for 5618 Hazeldean Road, as shown in Document 1, to permit the first phase of a residential subdivision, including one stormwater management block, 36 townhouse blocks, and 111 lots for detached dwellings as detailed in Document 2.
- Direct Staff to report back to Planning and Housing Committee with zoning details for the 0.5-hectare block at the intersection of Abbott Street East and the future Robert Grant Avenue extension at the time that a Zoning By-Law Amendment is brought to Planning and Housing Committee for Phase 2. The block is to accommodate commercial uses and will be zoned accordingly with Phase 2. It will remain zoned Development Reserve “DR” in the meantime.
- That Planning and Housing Committee approve the Consultation Details Section of this report be included as part of the ‘brief explanation’ in the Summary of Written and Oral Public Submissions, to be prepared by the Office of the City Clerk and submitted to Council in the report titled, “Summary of Oral and Written Public Submissions for Items Subject to the Planning Act ‘Explanation Requirements’ at the City Council Meeting of June 7, 2023,” subject to submissions received between the publication of this report and the time of Council’s decision.
Share your feedback
There are several ways the general public can provide submissions to the Members of Committee and Council for the June 7, 2023 meeting, as follows:
- Submit comments in writing:
To submit comments in writing, email the Committee Coordinator (Kelly.email@example.com). Comments received by 4:00 PM on Tuesday, June 6, 2023 will be provided to Members of Committee and Council prior to the meeting. Comments received after this time will be forwarded to Members of Committee and Council as soon as possible, and prior to Council’s final consideration of the item on June 14, 2023 but may not be received by Committee members prior to the June 7, 2023 meeting.
- Submit verbal comments in advance of the meeting:
Call the Committee Coordinator by 4:00 PM on Tuesday, June 6, 2023 to have comments transcribed (613-580-2424, x16875).
- Register to speak at the committee meeting:
i.Register by phone by 4:00 PM on Tuesday, June 6, 2023:
You may contact the Committee Coordinator 613-580-2424, x16875. Please see further details below for those wishing to make visual presentations to the committee.
ii.Register by e-mail – prior to 8:30 AM on Wednesday, June 7, 2023:
You may contact the Committee Coordinator (Kelly.firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to 8:30 AM on Wednesday, June 7, 2023. Please see further details below for those wishing to make visual presentations to the committee.
You can also contact me with your questions or concerns